Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Progress on My First Short Story

I started writing it last night, actually I barely slept last night because when I wasn't writing I was thinking about it. I think that my lack of sleep is a good sign, it shows that I actually care about these things enough to stress about them. At the same time, it had some bad effects being that I needed to work today and I was absolutely exhausted.

From what I've read, a writer needs to write 1,000 words a day to practice their art. That's a lot. Last night I came into this thinking I could have a whole short story done within a day. By the end of the night I wrote about 500 words, and it took some time. Than I deleted them all. I'm at 410 now. So you may need to wait a little while for my first story to be put up here. I don't think it will be hard to write 1,000 words a day, but it might be hard to write 1,000 words a day and use them effectively at the same time.

I also read that your first writings are going to be crap. I have an ego, a huge ego, so of course I'm telling myself that it won't be true for me. My first story is going to be pure awesome. Well, 400 words in and that ego is shrinking. I don't think its going to be crap, but its not what I was hoping for. I'm half-tempted to erase it all and start a completely different story, but I won't because I know that my different story would turn out just the same. The only way for my next story to be better is for me to force my way through these first tougher stories and learn to write well.

So, right now I don't see my first story as going to be anything amazing, but I also still have hopes for it. Who knows, maybe if I keep editing, rewriting, and polishing the story I might come out of this with something I can be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment